Edgcumbes Tea & Coffee – we are a company dedicated to roasting coffee and blending tea on our site near Arundel in West Sussex. We not only supply local restaurants and businesses with coffee, tea and equipment but also sell directly to the public, as we are keen to educate people on the provenance of their favourite drinks.
We acknowledge our day-to-day business practices have some environmental impact and are committed to managing these. Additionally we recognise that the wider environment can have an impact on us. In an effort to enhance our environmental performance we have installed LED lighting within our warehouse and also built our take-away shop from reclaimed materials. We aim to monitor future energy requirements by installing light motion sensors and LED lighting in the office. Within the shop we also have a ‘Reuse, Recycle, Really good coffee’ scheme where customers can re-use tins to buy coffee and to cut down on wasting paper bags.
Our Environmental Policy goal is to be a responsible corporate citizen. We are committed to following good environmental practice, we will meet applicable legal and other relevant requirements and strive for continual improvement. We will, therefore, manage our processes, our materials and our people in order to reduce negative impacts.
Our Environmental Policy provides the framework for setting and reviewing environmental objectives and targets. It is documented, regularly reviewed, maintained and communicated to all employees.
Our main objectives and commitments are to:
- Reduce our energy requirements and improve energy efficiency and reduce our greenhouse gas emissions
- Manage our waste, including such activities as reducing, storing, recycling and disposing of waste and packaging in a responsible manner. The by-product from roasting, chaff, is given away to customers to use as compost and we send all cardboard packaging to be shredded and to be used again as packaging material
- Investigate the use of materials, products and components with a lower environmental impact
- Reduce the use of hazardous or environmentally harmful products and practices directly or indirectly associated with our work
- Reduce the impact of our transport, by reducing the need to travel and then choosing alternative transport options if feasible
- Reduce our water consumption
- Manage our activities to prevent pollution to air, land and water
- Investigate green procurement options and encourage our suppliers to support our objectives
- Manage green spaces to protect biodiversity. We plant our flowers with the used coffee grounds and chaff to help nourish the plants and prevent waste
- Share, as practical, our good practice with our staff, customers and suppliers