Trying to make the perfect cup of barista coffee at home is a challenge. You could just go and buy it from your local coffee shop (which you should definitely support!) but the cost soon adds up. Not got the space for a fancy espresso machine? Not to fear – A Stove top percolator will answer all your prayers. You can finally make that same barista style, caffeine fix at home. We know – we know… we are not all skilled baristas! Luckily we have come up with six fool proof steps, to guide you through this process. Stove top/percolators/moka pots are super easy to use and you can get a great coffee in just 2 or 3 minutes.
Getting to know your coffee percolator:
Let’s start with the basics. Preppy Italian moka pots come in three parts, once it is taken apart. They are known as the bottom chamber, the filter basket and top chamber. Each part is essential for making that mouth-watering cup of Joe! You can use most stove top percolators on gas and electric hobs; just check the instructions of your moka pot.
How to use a coffee percolator:
- Firstly, you need to fill the bottom chamber with hot water, just below the safety valve which you can see on the outside, and inside of the chamber.
- Now grab one of your favourite Edgcumbes freshly roasted coffee! Take the filter basket and fill it to the top with a medium – fine grind size coffee. Don’t forget we can grind this for you – just select the Moka pot grind on the website.
Top Tip – You should not use espresso-fine grind coffee as this can clog up the filter whilst boiling. If you are using your own grinder, select a Medium to Fine Grind. It should resemble the texture of Table Salt! Medium-fine grind is typically used in Aero-presses. Do not tamp (press) it too hard, gently fill to the top and ensure the outside rim has no coffee grounds on it.
- Time to put the stove pot back together – and be careful because the bottom chamber will be hot from the hot water. Make sure the pot is nice and tight (perhaps use a cloth for extra grip) before putting it on to heat.
- Now whack your coffee percolator on a medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes! A medium heat ensures it will ease through the holes nicely, if it is too hot, this can splatter through and be dangerous. Leave it for 2-3 minutes to work its magic. To pass the time you can make some toast, do jumping jacks or you can quickly whack on a jazzy shirt ready for that zoom meeting.
- You will hear it starting to fizzle – this is how you know the coffee is about to start coming through!
- Carefully take it off the heat, handling it with a kitchen cloth. Now run the bottom chamber underneath a cold tap to stop further brewing. Over-brewing it will burn the coffee and that’s the last thing any of us want.
Whizz up some warm milk with a whisk and add – you can even attempt your own fancy latte art!
And there you have it!
Finally, A proper brew at home now made possible with a Stove Pot Percolator. You didn’t even have to leave the comfort of your own kitchen to achieve a coffee shop standard espresso drink.
Now all you need is coffee! You can shop our freshly roasted speciality coffee here. From exotic single origins, to signature blends created by our team of expert roasters, we will have something to tickle your taste buds. Just pick your coffee and select it to be ground for percolator/moka pot.
Still unsure on how to use your swanky new stove top percolator? Watch this video to see Kit, Edgcumbes’ barista extraordinaire, demonstrate his skills for your delectation and delight….Sit back and enjoy!